Among the sports played internationally, cricket is one of the oldest and most popular one. Even though its popularity might have reached its peak, there are still a lot of fascinating things that most of us do not know about this sport. Below we have compiled a list of some of the interesting facts about cricket to help you know its highest scores, records, history, and much more.
1. The origins of this sport can be traced back to England.
2. The first recorded cricket game was played in 1646.
3. A cricket match played between England and South Africa, which took place in 1939, was the longest one in the sport’s history.
4. The two main causes for pausing or suspending cricket matches are rain and bad light.
5. The term century in this sport is used when a batsman scores 100 runs. A century is not easy to score, and if a batsman does, it is considered an achievement.
6. One of the dismissal methods used in the sport is a run out. It is governed by Law 38 of the Laws of cricket.
7. There is one umpire off the field and two in the field in a cricket game.
8. The average weight of a cricket bat is between 2 and 3 pounds.
9. The player who has played the most number of international cricket matches is Sachin Tendulkar.
10. Alex Stewart’s birthday and the number of test runs he scored in his career share the same digits. He was born on 8/4/63, and he scored 8,463 test runs in his career!
11. The weigh of a cricket ball is around 5.5 ounces.
12. The oldest cricketer to play for England was Wilfred Rhodes.
13. The first century to be scored in a Test match was by Australia’s Charlie Bannerman in 1877.
14. 1844 was the year the first ever international cricket match took place.
15. Each player of the Australian cricket team that toured England in 1868 wore a different color cap. They did this so that the audience could recognize them.
16. Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar share the record of scoring most centuries for India playing against England.
17. The record for the longest inning for the test cricket match is held by Pakistani player, Hanif Mohammad.
18. The only cricketer in the world to be given 4 consecutive Man of The Match Awards is Sourav Chandidas Ganguly.
19. The first cricketer to be dismissed by the third umpire using television is Sachin Tendulkar.
20. Belinda Clark hit a double ton in the 1997 Women’s World Cup, helping her national team win unbeaten 229 against Denmark.
21. The reason why John Traicos is known as the tri-nation man is because he was born in Egypt and played for South Africa and Zimbabwe.
22. 1844 was the year the first international cricket match was played. This match was between USA and Canada and was played at St. George’s Club Ground.
23. The first woman in the world to play in the men’s Lancashire League is Kate Cross.
24. Irish-born cricketer EOIN Morgan remains silent when the national anthem is sang before the start of a match.
25. The only nation in the world to win three different world cups is India.
26. The only batsman to score four consecutive hundreds in ODI history is Sri Lanka’s Kumar Sangakkara.
27. The record for the highest strike rate in 100 test runs is held by batsman Virender Sehwag. He got an 80+ strike rate after in those test runs.
28. The only batsman in cricket history to smash a six off the first ball of a test match is the West Indies opener Chris Gayle.
There are so many other interesting facts about cricket and CricBets has written more about the ones we’ve mentioned. We hope you’ve enjoyed them.